Highnam Court, Nr. Gloucester
Well behaved dogs on a short lead are allowed in the Fair and Gardens.
Highnam Court was built in 1658 after the original house was seriously damaged in the Civil War. It is one of the few houses built during the Commonwealth period. The design of the houses is linked to Ernest Carter who was a pupil of Inigo Jones.
The Highnam Estate was bought in 1838 by Thomas Gambier Parry, who was an accomplished artist, musician and art collector. This talented painter is also responsible for the magnificent frescoes in Highnam Church. He started to lay out his garden in 1840, and by 1874 it rivalled any in the UK. Unfortunately, since the turn of the last century almost nothing had been done in the gardens. Consequently, when the process of restoration started in 1994 the gardens were totally overgrown.
During the last 20 years, since Roger Head has been the owner, the gardens have been totally and lovingly restored to their former glory, with many new additions being made to compliment and enhance the original design.
Proceeds from the Fair support the work of Cobalt Health.
PLEASE NOTE: Entrance to Fair is on the main A40 as shown on the map below.
£5.00 per adult includes the garden.
Children under 16 Free.
CASH OR CHEQUE ONLY.
Homemade refreshments available.